Friday, May 20, 2011

WAMC 2011 Soldier of the Year

Cameron is Womack Army Medical Center's Soldier of the Year!!! For those of you who are unfamiliar with the military, this is a HUUUUGE honor. To even be considered for the competition you have to win a Solider of the Month Board. Then a Solider of the Quarter Board and then a final board to determine if you make it to the competition. So, I'm going to brag for just a little about my AWESOME husband.

Cameron and another solider were chosen to compete out of 4,000 soldiers assigned to Womack for Solider of the Year. It was a week long competition that consisted of 10 events. Combatants(hand to hand combat), M-16 qualification, functions checks on machine guns, trauma lanes, assault operations, day land-navigation, night navigation, physical fitness test, a written essay and a Board (where you sit in front of 4 Sgt. Majors(E-8) and they ask you questions).

Here's a video of what they did... I can't watch it for some reason becuase YouTube doesn't allow this country(Germany) to watch it? Weird, I know...

(Someone please let me know if it plays for you!)

Anyways, Cameron had to wait a week before they announced the winner. It was a very long week!!! On the day of the ceremony we were both nervous... my parents were there as well as my sister and Cameron's dad. They had it in the auditorium at Womack and the Commander of the hospital was there. I had Amanda take a video...I'll just let you see ;)



So, he WON! I love that he ends with, I love you Ami, Soldier Medic! Ha! I was in tears, he's just awesome! Cameron won the Army Commendation Medal along with a few other military awards and LOTS of gifts, trophies and money! He also received 4 different coins which is also a huge honor. We had to take an extra bag with us on the plane because we were leaving the next day! I'm so proud of him and I know he's a great solider and an even better husband.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I LOVEEE your dress Ami!~